Most people sell their RV on the worst possible day. Not because the coach is wrong. Because the calendar is.
I have bought and sold a lot of these things myself, the hard way, with my own money on the line. And if I had to give up every tool I own except one, I would keep the calendar. Wax, decals, a fresh set of tires, all of that helps at the margin. The month you list moves real money. Thousands of dollars, sitting there, decided by nothing more than when you put the sign in the window.
So let's talk about timing. Because nobody at the dealership will.
The buyer pool swells and shrinks with the weather
Here is the thing nobody tells you. You are not selling to a steady stream of buyers. You are selling into a wave. In March, a family sits at the kitchen table and decides this is the summer they finally get a camper. They start looking. By April they are calling. By May they are standing in your driveway with a checkbook and a kid asking which bunk is theirs.
That family does not exist in November. They are thinking about the holidays, not the open road. List your coach in late fall in a cold state and you are fishing in a pond somebody already drained.
I tell sellers this all the time: you can have a beautiful rig and still lose, because the people who would have paid top dollar are not in the market yet. Timing is not a detail. It is most of the game.
The fastest sale I ever brokered closed in nine days. The slowest dragged on for seven months. Same class of coach, same condition, roughly the same price. The only real difference? One went up in April. The other went up in October. That is the whole story.
Read the season before you read the comps
Everybody wants to jump straight to price. What's it worth? Hold on. Worth to whom, and worth when? A 32-foot travel trailer is worth more in April than the identical trailer is worth in December, and it is the same trailer. The market moved. You did not.
When we work up a seller's coach, we look at the season first. We ask a simple question. Are the right buyers shopping right now, in this region, for this kind of rig? If the answer is no, we either wait or we price for a thin market and tell you straight what that costs.
What a strong selling window looks like
A good window has three things going for it. Buyers are actively planning trips. The weather lets them tow and test without misery. And the storage clock is not yet pressing on either side of the deal. Hit all three and your coach sells itself. Miss all three and you are negotiating from your back foot whether you know it or not.
| Listing month | Buyer demand | Your leverage | What we usually advise |
|---|---|---|---|
| March to early June | High | Strong | List now, price for the top of the market |
| Mid June to August | Moderate | Fair | List, but expect more negotiation |
| September to October | Soft, except snowbird markets | Weaker | Sell only if the rig is ready and priced sharp |
| November to February | Low in cold regions | Weak | Usually wait, unless you have a buyer lined up |
The exception that catches people: warm markets run backward
Now here is where the rule flips. In a snowbird market, the calendar inverts. Fall is when the buyers roll into town, and a coach that would sit in a Minnesota driveway moves fast in a Florida or Arizona one. We have closed strong deals in October and November in the right zip codes. So do not take a blanket rule and staple it to your situation. Local beats general, every time.
This is exactly why we read each region on its own. A seller in Phoenix and a seller in Buffalo should not list in the same month, and anyone who tells you otherwise has not sold enough coaches to know better.
If you are stuck selling in the off-season
Sometimes life does not care about the calendar. You are moving. The storage bill hurts. The coach has to go now. Fine. You can still sell well in a weak month, but you have to be honest about the trade. Price it sharp, get it inspection-ready so a buyer has no reason to chip away, and lean on an RV broker who already has buyers in a file instead of waiting on the open market to wander by.
If you have the freedom to wait two or three months for the right window, that patience is often worth more than any repair or detail you could pay for. The single highest-return move most sellers can make costs nothing but timing.
So what should you actually do?
Start with the season, not the spreadsheet. Figure out whether the right buyers are in the market for your kind of rig, in your region, right now. If they are, move. Get your photos right, price against live comparable sales, and put it up. If they are not, and you can wait, wait. The market will come back around, and it will bring the buyers with it. When you are ready, see how our RV broker service handles the listing, the buyers, and the paperwork end to end.
And if you are not sure which side of that line you are on, that is the call we make for sellers every week. We will tell you to list or tell you to hold, and we will tell you why. No charge to find out.


